"Animals, like people, respond to positive remarks as opposed to negative."
Unless safety is an issue -Ignore bad behavior and reward good behavior.
Always remember that dogs do what works for them. Reward handsomely all outdoor elimination. Make outdoor potting work really well for your puppy.
Using THE NEWSPAPER is a last resort - Please read carefully to the very end!
1. The puppy must have NO time unsupervised in your home. NONE. If you are not directly watching the puppy, it should be in the crate, or outside in a safe area. YOU must watch the puppy at ALL times when loose in the house. Use baby gates, crates or tie the leash to your belt.
2. The puppy should sleep inside the crate by your bedside. This way you can hear if the puppy should happen to need to go out at night.
3. You must go with the puppy outside for ALL trips for elimination. You MUST have treats with you. When the puppy is urinating say, "GO PEE PEE" in a nice praise tone of voice the entire time. When she is finished, pop the treat in her mouth at once and praise, praise, praise. The treat should be something she gets at no other time, like tiny pieces of string cheese or boiled chicken. Same technique for defecation. Say, "GO POOP" while she is going and food reward and praise afterwards. You must observe and reward ALL outdoor potty time.
4. Keep a schedule. Feed at the same time, and walk outside at the same times. Your pup needs at least 4 trips outdoors each day, and 5 is probably better. Pups need to go out at wake up time, lunch time, 4-5 PM, after dinner or any other meals and before bed. Younger puppies may need to go out more often.
5. Use a key word each time you go out. I say, "Let's go out!" in a happy tone of voice each time I am opening the door to go out with the dog.
6. If you catch the puppy IN THE ACT of eliminating in your house, CLAP YOUR HANDS say, "AH, AH, OUTSIDE!" And immediately rush her outside. If she finishes there, do your usual food reward and praise.
The keys to getting your dog house trained are:
- SUPERVISION: NO loose time in the house if you are not watching.
- REWARDS: ALL outdoor elimination MUST be observed AND rewarded. (If you only do this ONE thing, your puppy will get house trained.)
- PATIENCE: Anger and punishment have no place in dog training. Elimination is a natural and pleasurable experience for your dog. You can teach her not to soil your house, but punishment will not help. It will only teach her to hide when she needs to eliminate.
- STRONGER MEASURES: If you have applied these techniques carefully for 4 weeks and you are still finding spots or piles after the fact, it's time for stronger measures!
Tightly roll up a newspaper. Keep it handy.
The very next time you spot a pile that the dog has left behind, whip out that newspaper and HIT YOURSELF over the head firmly as you repeat, "I FORGOT TO WATCH MY PUPPY!"
Find out how you and your dog can be Earth Friendly by following these simple steps:
Visit us in beautiful Longboat key, click here to find us, or just Subscribe to our Newsletter at the bottom of the page!
At Dogs For The Earth Organic Dog Food and Treats we care about our environment, our footprint on our planet, and our dogs. It's a lifestyle, a passion and a dedication.
Dogs For The Earth - All Natural, Eco Friendly, Organic Care for your dog.