Nobody wants to talk about being overweight. Love handles, chunky monkeys, pudgy puddings and big ole’ fat dogs are hard to miss. They can’t hide their excess under an over-sized shirt or loose fitting pants. (Although some try!)
At Dogs For The Earth, we know all about the fun and joy of handing a treat to your companion. We know some dogs measure love by how many snacks they get and how others, with just one look, can tell you they are starving, haven’t eaten in 3 weeks and may not make it through the hour without just one more bite. We have one of those dogs!
Lean organic meats without grains or starch or added carbs are essential when feeding overweight dogs.
That’s why “Dogs For The Earth Organic Dehydrated Dog Food” has healthy, clean and pure nutritious ingredients:
- lean meats
- fresh vegetables
- chia seeds
It can be a frustrating maze of information out there but choosing a healthy dog food doesn’t have to be complicated. Real food isn’t confusing; there are no tricky terms, imitation man made vitamins, sprayed on chemicals. Our pure, clean, organic dehydrated dog food is good enough for people, but made for dogs.
When you avoid giving your dog food that causes weight gain you can avoid a whole host of issues. Health, quality of life, ability to play, even to breathe, are diminished in overweight dogs. Overweight dogs may become more irritable due to being hot, in pain, or simply uncomfortable. Overweight dogs die at a younger age than those maintained at an optimum weight. A whole host of health issues may be created when a dog is overweight:
- Decreased quality and length of life.
- Difficulty breathing, respiratory disease, lethargy and under active brain capacity due to lack of oxygen.
- Decreased endurance and stamina. Carrying all that extra weight around takes a lot more work. The heart, muscles, and respiratory system are all asked to do more than they were designed for.
- Digestive disorders.
- An overweight dog has an increased risk of developing constipation and or diarrhea and may also have more problems with intestinal gas and flatulence, which is not pleasant for the dog or the owner.
- Damage to joints, bones, and ligaments – Arthritis and Hip dysplasia. Approximately ¼ of overweight dogs develop serious joint complications. Torn and strained ligaments and disc disease (slipped disc) are also common.
- Decreased immune function.
- Obesity in the dog is associated with decreased resistance to viral and bacterial infections. Making optimum health impossible. Decreased immune function often is associated with skin & hair/coat problems.
- Increased risk of cancer.
- Heart disease and increased blood pressure.
- Decreased liver function- fatty liver.
If your dog is overweight and you’d like to feel better knowing you’re providing a healthier choice - you can. You’ll feel proud as you see a more svelte companion develop. You’ll have peace of mind knowing you’re doing the best you can. We are the will power, the dietitian, the keeper of our dogs and you’ll feel terrific realizing you are being responsible in a very active way. Imagine the freedom, the satisfaction you will feel when you look at your healthy dog and your dog looks back with a smile and says, “Thanks. I needed that!”
Dogs For The Earth - All Natural, Eco Friendly, Organic Care for your dog.
Don't miss our Newsletters. Sign up at the bottom of our page for special offers, coupon codes, information and more!
Relax ∙ Reuse ∙ Rescue
Dogs For The Earth Organic Dog Food, Organic Dog Treats, Organic Dog Flea Control - Made in USA
Visit us in beautiful Longboat Key, find us.